Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Head Nurse
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract: Open Ended contract
Working Hours: 208 working hours per month.
- Supporting the Head Nurse through delegated tasks and responsibilities and ensuring the provision of quality patient care by providing clinical supervision and training in the competencies related to their practice according to MSF Health standards and protocols in order to guarantee the security, continuity and quality of health care in the project. Fully assuming the Head Nurse responsibilities in case of absence.
- Providing support in the clinical supervision and training (e.g. triage, workflow, stock keeping, effective assistance and own regular ward rounds, proper documentation, adherence to MSF policies and protocols, health education, support to staff during procedures, etc.) based on identified needs.
- Managing the Nurse Supervisors when Head Nurse/Nursing Activity Manager is absent.
- Collaborating closely with the team in order to provide continuous quality of care in the projects, upholding and respecting the charter of MSF and ensuring that patient interest and autonomy are respected at all times.
- Covering weekend duties according to need and supporting weekend supervisors to provide appropriate supervision for all wards. Attending ward meetings and the weekly medical and expat meetings.
- Providing support in ensuring appropriate infection prevention and control in the hospital.
- Providing support in maintaining an efficient ward administration i.e. good follow up of the bed status, patients’ movements, ward registers, filling of patients.
- Providing support in checking, reviewing or providing new training on staff safety and hygiene e.g. standard infection control precautions, procedures in case of accidental blood exposure, waste disposal system, etc.
- Providing support in managing the pharmacy (ensuring the weekly orders are done, managing expired items and regular inventories) In close coordination with the project biomedical service supervising the appropriate use of medical devices and anticipating and communicating future needs.
- Collaborating with logistics and the Hospital Facilities Manager in ensuring that the infrastructure is maintained in good condition, non-food items are tracked and kept and transfer systems in the hospital are organized.
- Supporting the supervisors in the associated HR processes for their team under their responsibility (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, coaching, development and communication) and in planning and organizing their work (rosters, replacement for absences, etc.) and in writing incident reports, disciplinary proceedings as appropriate.
- Providing support in ensuring proper and timely collection and registration of data for inpatient and outpatient departments and participating in monthly reporting according to management guidelines
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participate in budgetary and HR planning exercises for all Gwange activities, peak and off-peak, e.g. Malaria peak, MAP discussions, etc.
- Ensure historical trends and patterns are considered during the long term planning
HR Planning and Support:
- Participate in daily staff mobilisation and needs-based planning in collaboration with the HD, MAM and Nurses supervisors
- Rationalise and pre-empt daily worker demand from Gwange and support Head Nurse in making the requests to Admin
- Optimise rosters and ensures leave planning for the nursing team
- Follow administrative processes related to employee contract (leaves, rosters, etc.)
- Support HN in capacity building activities, identification of potential, planning for detachments, inter-unit swapping of nurses
- Identify opportunities for on-the-job training for the nursing team
- Support NTS and MAM in triage categorisation and internal movements (e.g., from yellow to orange, from orange to red, etc.)
- Follow up on hospital assessment tool to monitor process efficiencies and identify areas of improvement
- Liaise with Hopsital logistics to implement improvement ideas identified through the assessment feedback
- Liaise with MoH incharge to improve collaboration on OPD activities, especially during peak
- Prepare weekly and monthly Supply logistics requests
- Design, drive and follow IPC activities in Gwange e.g., monthly reporting of hand hygiene tool
- Ensure IPC measures are understood and followed by all staff and patients, in collaboration with NTS, Hospital Director, WATSAN / Logistics
- Support operations and step in for gap fill during NTS absence
- Nursing diploma
- Nursing and systems-level experience (either supervisory or managerial)
- Maternal and/or paediatric program experience
- Experience as a nurse supervisor in MSF
- Experience in both medical and surgical nursing considered a plus
- Essential English; Hausa, Kanuri desirable
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, internet)
- Excellent writing and communications skills at influencing level.
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF principles L2
- BehaviouralFlexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3
- Monthly Gross salary of 681,039.00 Naira only plus 13th month allowance equivalent to 1 month of gross salary.
Application Closing Date
2nd July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
- No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
- MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.
- MSF is an equal opportun