Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims.
Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Contract
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and/or his/her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized/IDP patients, through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure bedside training of paramedical team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- To work in collaboration with the nurses to ensure medical care of quality
- To work as a team member, taking in consideration the non-medical problems the patients have to face (food and care problems etc.)
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
On Admission: ER/ICU:
- To examine all new cases admitted in the ITFC
- To carry out a basic medical examination.
- To recognize, call and/or immediately inform the expat doctor about the children in a serious condition requiring emergency interventions.
- To refer to others NGO/Partners non malnourished children with complicated cases requiring further management.
- To check the patients’ hydration status and to prescribe re-hydration treatment if necessary.
- To prescribe routine and basic treatment according to the protocols used in respecting the drug dosage based on the weight of the patients.
- To completely and properly fill the individual card with the medical data.
- To give clear instructions to the nurses on the medical care and specific monitoring of the patient.
- To do a quick late-afternoon round to be sure that the patients are OK for the night, the directives are done.
Monitoring of the Patients
In Phase 1:
- To daily follow the patients in phase 1:
- To estimate the medical evolution (improvement, deterioration etc.)
- To change the medical treatment according to the protocol
- To hold properly the patient folder
- To decide, in collaboration with the nurse, on the transfer of the patient(s) to phase 2
- To ensure all patients above six months, have been vaccinated when transferring to phase 2
- To do a quick late-afternoon round to be sure that the patients are OK for the night, the rounds directives are well followed.
In Phase 2:
- To daily follow the patients with medical problems.
- To control 3 times a week the medical status of all the patients.
- To prescribe basic medical treatment.
- To refer to expat doctor the patients who are not gaining weight or who have complicated medical problems.
- To decide, in collaboration with the nurse, on the discharge of the patients.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Medical Doctor Diploma, MBBS Certificate, Desirable certificate in Tropical Medicine and Emergency Response Training (ERT)
- 2 years experience minimum as a Medical Doctor or in clinical work. Previous experience in nutrition/ HIV/TB program, General Pediatric ward would be an asset.
- Fluency in English. Hausa / Kanuri / Fulani language desirable
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel).
Application Closing Date
11th June, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant degrees, certificates and NYSC certificate/exemption Letters Soft Copy to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Submit Hard Copy at:
MSF Belgium Fori PHC CV box
Note: MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.