The second debate between Donald Trump and Joe Biden has been cancelled by the Commission on Presidential Debates after the US President declined participating in a virtual debate despite being infected with Coronavirus.
Cancellation of the debate on Friday October 9, leaves just one more debate on the schedule and is expected to hold in Nashville, Tennessee on October 22 before the November 3 election.
The commission said in a statement;
“It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22.
“Each (candidate) now has announced alternate plans for that date, it is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15.”
The commission had announced on Thursday morning that because Trump tested positive for Coronavirus, the debate that was scheduled for Miami would be held virtually, with the two candidates appearing from remote locations.
Trump swiftly rejected that plan, saying he would not show up and setting off a series of events that put the future of all general election debates into question. Biden had also said earlier this week he would not debate Trump in person if he still had the virus, and his campaign called Trump’s refusal to adapt to a virtual format “shameful.”
Following the cancellation, the Republican president will travel on Monday October 12 to central Florida, a state crucial to his hopes of winning a second term in the November 3 election.
He will stage his first campaign rally since his coronavirus diagnosis at an airport in the town of Sanford. The campaign did not disclose if it would be held in a hangar with doors open, as it has in the past, or entirely outside.