Joseph Utsev was born into Utsev Akaa family of Mbaakura, Mbagen in Buruku Local Government Area of Benue State.
He is a well-known academic, politician, philanthropist, businessman, and administrator.
He received his Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering from the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi in 2004 and graduated as the top student with a 2nd Class Honours “Upper Division” grade.
In the years 2005 and 2006, he worked at the Kaduna State Development and Property Company (KSDPC) to fulfil the one (1) year NYSC plan that was required of him.
After finishing his NYSC in 2006, he was later engaged as a graduate assistant in the Department of Civil Engineering at the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi.
The remarkable engineer is also alumnus of the prestigious University of Nigeria Nsukka, where he graduated in 2007 with a master’s in environmental engineering and a doctorate in water resources, respectively.
Engineer Professor Terlumun Utsev has around 17 years of teaching and professional experience, and he has published in about 40 important national and international journals. He has established himself as a highly respected administrator and professional in the West African subregion as a result of his extensive expertise in Civil Engineering practise and research.
From 2013 to 2017, Prof. Utsev, a charming administrator, served as the Centre for Entrepreneurship Development’s Full Director after being confirmed as the Deputy Director. During this time, he championed the establishment of seven (7) workshops that are now used to train students in entrepreneurship and provide Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) to the Institution.
The Idye Basin Phase II (Police Zone 4 – Mobile Barracks) drainage was designed with his help, and as a result, Prof. Utsev was appointed Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Water Resources and Environment Benue State in the same year, 2017.
In 2020, President Muhammadu Buhari approved his appointment to the position of Executive Director Engineering at the Lower Benue River Basin Development Authority in Makurdi. During his brief employment with the Authority, he oversaw the construction of various dams, bridges, roads, boreholes, drainages, and other engineering projects. He oversaw the engineering group as well.
He is currently working to transform the Federal Polytechnic Wannune in Benue State into a world-class facility that would address the academic, professional, and employment challenges that the area as well as all of Nigeria are currently facing.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODY/ASSOCIATIONS
Prof. Terlumun Utsev belongs to the Nigerian Institute of Entrepreneurs.
- A Civil engineer who is certified by COREN, the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria
- The Nigerian Society of Engineers Fellow
- An associate member of the Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers,
- The Nigerian Institution of Water Engineers Fellow
- A member of the Nigerian Institute of Corporate Executives
- A graduating member of Nigeria and a fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Industrial Administration.
He has successfully managed multiple undergraduate and graduate research projects in addition to visiting various professional conferences and seminars around Nigeria, Africa, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom, among other places.
The Department of Civil Engineering at Joseph Sarwuan Tarka University Makurdi recently promoted him to the esteemed rank of Professor of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering.
Joseph Terlumun Utsev, a professor of engineering, has received various honours and accolades, including but not limited to the following:
- Nigeria’s Water and Environmental Sector’s Best Honourable Commissioner for 2018
- The Academic Noble Award from the Institute of Industrial Administration of Nigeria;
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award from the Kings Comprehensive College Old Students Association
- Distinguished Merit Award for the Development of Water Resources Engineering Infrastructure
- Award for Outstanding Service from the University of Agriculture Makurdi Alumni
- Jemgbagh Media Forum Award for Effective Service Delivery and Open Door Policy
- Onov Mba Tavershima by the Catholic Women Organization, Catholic Youth Centre Parish, Makurdi
- Distinguished Merit Award for Water Resources Engineering Infrastructural Development, Professional Excellence Award from the Makurdi Chapter of the Nigerian Society of Engineers
- Recognition from ACE Events management, UK, for assisting with the 2017 Edition of Water Africa and West-Africa Building & Construction.
Engr. Prof. Utsev was awarded the title of Vessel of Perseverance by the St. John Paul II Catholic Chaplaincy at the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi in 2018 in honour of his dedication to excellence.
In 2018, he was also given the Distinguished Merit Award by the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi Alumni Association campus branch.
Prof. Joseph Terlumun Utsev enjoys reading, expanding his field of study, taking trips, and playing badminton.
He is a happy married man with children from a previous relationship.